Friday, July 14, 2006

In Loving Memory

I sort of had to post something about this but couldn't bring myself to do it until now. Its been on my mind all week. I went to the hardest funeral I've ever had to attend this week. A good friend of mine died last weekend from a fall off his 4th floor balcony. Tragic doesn't really cover it. I'd been on that balcony with him on more than a few occasions. This guy had more friends who loved him unconditionally than anyone else I've ever met. He hated no one (except maybe tammy, but she had it coming. he didn't really hate her; believe me, he got her back. don't drink the open milk cartons in the ice room.) "Ben P." was known for his outgoing, ever-smiling presence and inclusiveness of others. The funeral was packed with people that loved him, and was good (aside from a very tackless eulogy from his brother. we get it, you were in Iraq. you looked down him as a druggie alcoholic, because THATS relevent. duh man, get off your pedestal and give some fucking kind words for your brother that just died. anyone who actually knew him knows better.) The graveside service was even rouger. After most everyone else had left for the lunch, his friends (a small mob of them) lingered around the casket; unwilling to leave. Ben would always be the last to leave anywhere, work/the bar. If you're on facebook, theres a new group dedicated to him with everyones pictures. Some folks are raising money to dedicate a bench for him at the Ames frisbee golf course, where he spent alot of his free time. I really still haven't faced the reality of it; i keep expecting him to call me to tell me where everyone was going that night, or for a ride to work, or to clue me in on a local band to go check out. "what's up, shortbus?" I'd give anything to hear that again.
The world is less exciting without you in it, Ben. We all love and miss you.

In loving memory of Ben J. Peterson

No comments: