Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Just In Case...

This was on my Google homepage. I think it'd be more useful to those on the coastline or Hawaii, but I thought I'd post it even though 5/6ths of my readership lives in Iowa.
"Step 1: Prepare for the Worst."
...I already trust this wiki article. You've got a giant .jpg of an EXPLODING MOUNTAIN. I'm already planning for the worst. Nothing about the words 'volcanic eruption' makes you think cute smoke calmly rising from a crack in the ground. 20 years of Hollywood ensure me that never happens. Mountains explode, or its just a hot spring.
"Step 3: Leave the Area Promptly if told to do so."
I hate to tell you this, but by step 3... I'm already gone. This should be higher than step 3. Really all this wiki needs is one step. Step 1: RUN DAMNIT! GTFO!
And that's really all you need. See the exploding mountain, face directly away from it and then move in that direction at top speed. Come back and see if whether your house/friends were melted in the ensuing lava flow in a few days.

4 comments:

middleson said...

Your tactics are sound and I'd follow that same game plan myself. Prepare for the worst?!?!? it's already happened! Vacate the space fool!

homebase said...

steal a land rover and put the pedal to the metal. that's what they do in the movies

Stoppable said...

all good ideas which i support fully.

the calm tone of the wiki guide belies the near certain death that faces you should be so unfortunate to be anywhere remotely near one of the 'pyroclastic' flows.

the gasses they helpfully suggest you not inhale move downhill at speeds in excess of 50mph and ignite everything they overcome as they are ~ 1800 degrees....

middleson said...

wow, 1800 degrees. that's a bit steamy.