Friday, February 9, 2007

Stage 1 complete?

With the shielding complete, the new tuners installed, and rewired guts the Squier Bullet has completed phase 1 of the transformation. The humming is definitely gone, so the shielding aspect worked well, but I'm still doubting my wiring and soldering. The bridge pickup sounds really hollow and dull, almost like the tone knob (if there was a bridge tone knob) is all the way down. And I didn't accidentally wire the bridge pickup to either of the tone knobs, as they don't have an effect on the issue, so.... I'll be looking into that today.
On the other hand, the guitar I completely disassembled (save for removing the neck from the body) and rebuilt down to the wiring still makes noise when you plug it in! The new tuners work amazingly well, and the volume pot is great, leaving only the bridge pickup problem to work out. I chose to update the outer appearance a little to both signify the inner change and see what half of my custom body might look like.

1 comment:

Stoppable said...

you've got amazing patience and attention for detail to complete these projects!

fair play to yeh!

i'll be following your example on this too. since my love is more for food than music, perhaps i'll focus on the tools of the trade.....

kt - when you come home, don't be alarmed if the frig or stove is in pieces on the floor!