Tuesday, November 27, 2007

SMB

Recently got into Steve Miller Band for the second time. After being into it RIGHT when I was getting into guitar, I sorta burnt myself out on it, then set it aside and forgot about it. I put the album on a few days ago and have realized a few things about his music.
For starters, my playing has developed into a very similar style, without me even realizing it. Steve Miller was obviously into Jimi, he played a reverse headstock stratocaster without needing to, just for the look/tone of it, plus he's blues/rock influenced. The music is very guitar-driven, so its easy for me to get into it, but then there's good lyrics with a slightly pop-ish trend to it, making it digestible for a much wider audience. There's just a balance in their music that I'm looking for, the prominent lead guitar doesn't over do it, the funky drums, the occasional guitar solo never lasting over a minute, plus stripped down lyrics for songs rarely over 4 mins. Classic stuff.
"Is that freedom rock? Well, turn it up, brother!"

4 comments:

homebase said...

I will have to get on youtube and listen to some. Will I find Steve Miller music there?

homebase said...

Hmm..watched Fly Like An Eagle...that is my generation's music. And Abracadabra. I like it.

middleson said...

i'm gonna reach out and grab ya.

i do like some steve miller band. it reminds me of eron in HS, in his room across the hall, old cd players. good stuff

Stoppable said...

SteveMiller -- the cover of the GH 74 - 78 reminds me of spraying beans, that's where I first heard them -- on a borrowed the tape from McQueen.

Favs: Rock N Me, True Fine Love, Swingtown