Monday, November 19, 2007

Book-it?

Apparently, kids and young adults aren't reading anymore. We all saw it coming, but the effects of the internet and television seem to have come sooner than expected. There are plenty of articles out there about the decline in statistics of people who read for pleasure, but I think the indirect effects of this are going to be worse than we think. I'd love to hear what the Freak-onomics author would have to say about this. You gotta think, 'Are people REALLY better people if they've read Dickens?' I think so.

3 comments:

homebase said...

sad, it my whole job over the last few years, kids can't focus for very long, can't retell a story they just read, they can't"think aloud" in their head to understand a story. I enjoy reading so much, hard for me to understand a life without reading how someone else solved that problem, or what people in that country do.. etc. Yes, we all are on our computers but we have to read once on those websites. I think kids should be required to read so many books a year before going on...some schools do. Reading helps kids' imagination so much.

homebase said...

PS--did you buy How Starbucks Changed my life?? If so I want to borrow it. :)

middleson said...

How many college freshman read for pleasure? I know I sure didn't. But I would pay a large sum of money to have enough unclaimed time & the peace of mind to enjoy reading a book for pleasure right now!

I agree that people are better for reading some classic stories. It provides them with the knowledge and ability to share in discussions of a shared experience. It also grows their imaginations. It takes kids to far off places that may not have ever been outside of their neighborhood.