Wednesday, August 6, 2008

miT

Tim Mahoney is easily one of my top 3 favorite guitarists. Tim's the lead guitarist for 311, a band that started out in Omaha, NE. I won't go into how much I freakin LOVE 311, nearly every one of their songs, their sound, and their philosophy. I've done that here before.
This post deals with my latest project, a replica of Tim's main guitar of the last 5 years or so. Its a PRS standard 24 in a custom light blue color and tiki mask inlay on the headstock. Its name is "Blue". Here's a few pics of the original: I just got a Saga HT kit for a STEAL on the eBay. These are low-quality kits for beginners, but this kit didn't have any instructions in it. Score for me, I don't need them. The body type is almost exactly the same as the PRS sytle above, and the headstock will be close. I'll be painting the body Sonic Blue, the closest match to the Blue above I could find. I'll also be using different 'guts.' The kit's electronics are shabby at best. I'll be using zebra humbucking pickups, to match Tim's guitar circa 1995-2002, my favorite era (note the diffent colored pickups in the last pic versus the more recent pics above it). I'll also be upgrading the tuners, pots, knobs, and switch. Which, really, is everything other than the bridge. This is the first non-stratocaster build I've ever really tried. We'll see how it goes. I'll have a post in a few days when the color coat is on and clear coated. The neck is going to be the hardest part anyways.

2 comments:

homebase said...

cool, I did see the "Carolina" blue guitar hanging up their in the apartment. Looks very nice.

tjhassan said...

Hey, I'm working on custom build replica of MIT's guitar too. If you use sonic blue, with a vintage (ambered) tinted Lacquer for the finish. You get the EXACT color that MIT uses....it's really just a vintage sonic blue