Friday, August 14, 2009

Half-Life

I realize that not a single person who reads my blog is much of a video gamer. However - if you've ever thought about trying out computer 'gamez'... I want to recommend a cheap and awesome beginner's package: via Steam, you can now get something called 'Half-Life Complete" for $17. What this package contains is every Half-Life game ever made.

Half-Life is a 'FPS' (meaning you live the game through the eyes of one character in the first person) about a scientist named Gordon Freeman - you - have a very bad day at work, leading to a pretty crazy chain of events. An experiment goes a little wrong and a small singularity is created and sorta maybe tears a whole to another dimension. These games are the best video games to try to get non-gamers to play. There just happens to be a fair amount of gunplay along with realistic environment-based puzzles in a world a little too real. The storyline is never fully explained to you, and I like that. In half a dozen installments, you're still barely figuring out whats going on... These games, moreso than any other game I've played, really feel like you're living, creating, and driving a movie in the first person.

------------
Discussion Topic: Top 5 favorite video games (any platform)

1) Legend of Zelda (NES)
2) Half-Life 2 (PC)
3) Time Crisis 3 (huge two person arcade version)
4) Myst series (PC)
5) Bioshock (PC)

3 comments:

middleson said...

i oddly enjoyed discussing this topic last friday. gaming is usually one of my less-than-favorite things to do. i was surprised that halo wasn't on your list, but, then again, what do i know? i remember the sounds from bioshock when you played it and i liked them.

here's my top 5...
1- NCAA College Football (SEGA or PS)
2- FIFA Soccer (PS2)
3- Mortal Kombat (PS or Arcade)
4- Minesweeper/Pinball/Snood/Tetris
5- Mike Tyson's Punchout (NES)

i like games that you play for a predefined time and at the end there is a winner and a loser. :)

galfunseeker said...

I'm not much of a gamer on my computer...just feels wrong. I like having a controller in my hand and the ability to stand while playing. Don't forget the moving of the controller up/down and sideways because that DOES help.. here is my list.

*Resident Evil 1,2,3,4 those count as 1 game right? (PS) I hear 5 is off the hook with duel player/split screen but .. I don't have a ps3. :(

*Castlevania (NES)

*Ready 2 Rumble (Sega)

*Super Mario 3 (ROCKED MY WORLD!)(SNES)
honorable mention: Mortal Kombat, and SoulCal

I can't not list a computer game ...so I will go with the last one I got addicted to.
*Oregon Trail - That was the highlight of my computer class in grade school.

Freak flag officially up and waving with pride!

Stoppable said...

wow - this was harder than I thought. I pared my original list of 12 down to

1. Hitman2 (pc)
2. Silent Scope (arcade)
3. Phantom Menace (arcade - best when you sat IN the pod racer)
4. Legend of Zelda (nintendo)
5. TimeCrisis (all - arcade)
6. Sim City

Sadly ommitted were the following:

NES baseball (where you could bend the bat and the outfielders ran like wounded cattle)

GTA - the original

Asteroids

TRON - was anything cooler than a light bike back then?

MS EXCEL flight simulator easter egg

RISK - so much faster than the board game