Tuesday, December 14, 2010

30 days of truth (Day 13)

Day 13 → A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough days.

I recently (jokingly) told a friend that I would not give up 311 for her, and got a lot of flak about my decision. In my defense, the premise was not only did I have to give them up, I also had to give up EVER KNOWING THEM. And there was really no reason or warning to this thought-experiment, and quite obviously was posed just so I would give the obvious answer - so in my wisdom, I chose 311 over this friend. As a joke. Right?

I don't think people understand how much of an influence that one band had on me in high school, college, and still today... How many shows I've been to, memories of people and turning points in relationships that happened at those shows. Quoted lyrics, ideologies... Not having ever known this band would probably make me a completely different person.

The thing about 311 is that there's always a song for whatever mood you're in. Feeling down? Listen to Don't Dwell, Don't Stay Home, Beyond the Gray Sky, or Sometimes Jacks Rule the Realm. Or maybe you're feeling great and want something to get geared up? Omaha Stylee, Freak Out, Down, or F.T.B.S. will get you there. Wanna wind down? There's always Amber, Stealing Happy Hours, or Running. I could go on, but you get the idea.

2 comments:

Stephen N. Greenleaf said...

Pure music, even without lyrics, can provide the deepest aid to emotional sustenance.

middleson said...

music expressed that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.
-victor hugo.

i would agree with you 100% about 311 (although probably not about picking them over les). the great thing is that even their sad songs are positive.
their positivity is what, for me, makes them irreplaceable.