Monday, August 2, 2010

The Happiest Meat Night

This weekend marked the 8th annual "Happy Meat Night." It was lower on overall poundage from last year, but I felt that the quality and # of nominations for 'best in show' told a different story. I do think that less meat was ingested than prior years, but the food that was there was amazing. Roscommon's dish, Bacon Wrapped Scallops, won this year's 'Best in Show.' I'll leave the details of that to his post. My dish, Bacon-wrapped Sausage Fatty (aka: Bacon Explosion) was a close runner up or "Best Newcomer." Total for this year was 37 lbs of meat consumed. I tried to make note of everything that I ate this year, so here's the list as best as I can remember:

-Fried Chicken Gizzards
-Marinated and steamed octopus (an ENTIRE octopus. that's what you threw in your mouth.)
-Bacon Wrapped Scallops
-Pork Ribs
-Crab stuffed Salmon
-Venison steaks
-Iowa Pork Chops
-Pibil (slow roasted pork)
Qubidae (Persian kabobs)
-Bacon Wrapped Sausage Fatty
-Kefka Kabobs
-Meatballs
-Alaskan King Crab legs

4 comments:

Nic said...

Nice job on getting the "Best Newcomer" award!! Sounds like a lot of good/fun dishes!

SH said...

Sounds very interesting and tasty!

homebase said...

Great picture, I was glad to see it after hearing about it. So glad everyone was able to be there and enjoy themselves, great summer fun!!

middleson said...

this was so fab.
we need to find a smoker to borrow so you can make it this fall for a fb weekend.
well done.