Thursday, September 16, 2010

ideas in the works

I've always liked this particular painting. Its called "The Great Wave off Kanagawa," a wood block print by Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai in the 1830's. There are great wave and flood myths in many different cultures and ancient writings. The biblical flood, Manu, Australian Aborigines, Gilgamesh... all symbolizing a cleansing of the world - a new start.

Just batting some ideas around. I just think it might be better wearing this on my sleeve than wearing my heart on there...


5 comments:

Les said...

love. it.

middleson said...

as JFK said..."a rising tide raises all ships."

homebase said...

very popular print, and I love all the positive ways to look at wave- :)

Stephen N. Greenleaf said...

What of the men in the boats? What will become of them? It appears that the large wave, as it breaks, has claws reaching out. It is a very evocative piece.

Caboose said...

I had the same thought, Uncle Steve! Like its purposely ambiguous. The one boat looks like its probably going to make it, the other looks like its not... And there's a hint of the next big wave right behind the one in the foreground.