Tuesday, September 28, 2010

random acts of kindness

I've been meaning to post on this topic for a while now, its overdue.

So if you've driven around the Drake neighborhood much in the past 2 years, you've probably seen the guy that stands right next to the road, waving and pointing and smiling and giving peace signs to EVERY car that goes by. I'm pretty sure he's not all there, but he's pretty good about staying out of traffic even though he's pretty close to the road. He's not hurting anybody, just standing by the road, throwing out peace signs with a huge smile on his face. If you wave back - he'll clap and point back at you like you just made his day.

At first I really didn't give him much thought. I'd wave, laugh, and keep on driving. But the past couple of months I've had a few rough days where I would be driving home from work and in a terrible mood, pissed at the world, and saw this guy and got my giant smile and wave - I usually give the peace sign back as that seems to be the one he enjoys getting most - and suddenly my day isn't so bad.

Yesterday on my way home from work, I saw him again - right on the corner by our house! I waved, asked how he was doing, got my wave and smile and went inside. While sitting inside for about 20 minutes I knew he was still out there as I could hear cars honking about every 30 seconds. People honking and waving back I assumed (they didn't sound like mad honks). This guy just stands by the road for a while and makes other people feel good for hours at a time.

There's lots of different types of people out there. Crazy, homeless, or handicapped - its good to see a lot of people getting exposure to someone like this guy so that more people understand that 'different' doesn't always have to get a negative connotation.

Wherever - whoever you are, man.... keep it up and God bless.

3 comments:

Nic said...

" 'different' doesn't always have to get a negative connotation. " -LOVE this! Great post! It reminds me of the story you once told me about the guy in the parking ramp.

middleson said...

the guy is fantastic. he's been around as long as i've been in dsm. you touch on a piece of what, i feel, is the key - he make you feel like YOU made HIS day. and everyone loves that feeling. and in the end, he's made YOUR day. :)

Angels are everywhere.

Les said...

everyone has a purpose. if he makes 1 person feel better every day or laugh or smile or whatever he's doing good because that's a lot of smiles.