Wednesday, September 13, 2006

ask the axis (he knows, he knows)

When it rains it pours. Life is a roller coaster. When things are good, its tough to make calls on which opportunities to jump on, and which to pass up. Similarly, when things are bad, it seems like they're never be good again. Work is going really well, a new responsibility and new project almost every week; meeting with supervisors and directors, being offered opportunities to expand and grow after only a few months. Work is work, but at least I don't dread every day of it. There are much worse jobs out there. But. BUT, I feel like I'm leaving a BIG part of me behind. I need to have music in my life. I think I can have both. I will. Then, when I'm at my most distressed about my lack of musical direction in my life, I get an offer (more of a heavy suggestion, request) to be road manager of a band I've become friends with. These guys are really good guys, and of the bands I know, these guys have a chance to really do well. Plus, I could open occasionally, getting priceless experience in both performing and the whole music life routine. Can I balence both? I'd be BUSY (I just typed 'busty' and made myself laugh out loud at work) and that's an understatement. I can't see how I can pass up the opportunity to make valuable connections with Towncrier and the Nadas.
I've been playing alot more lately. Playing with the 'less is more' style. Straight 12 bar blues, pop-style progressions w/ only 3 chords and the like. And the occasional hendrix song. John Mayer makes me realize that I need to practice more.

1 comment:

middleson said...

what's the story behind the title for this post?

i know you will be putting in some deep thought to this offer. i'm sure you've picked up in which direction i was leaning when we talked about it. but you will do what you feel is best for you. you definitely would learn a lot and make some connections. and it definitely would take A LOT of hours out of your week.
i think it'd be great if you started playing some open mics, i know i'd love to hear you play.