Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A political quiz

I could have drawn this for you before taking the poll. I was feeling especially liberal today after reading Roscommon's link the to article by Kevin Tillman and reading about 100 of the comments. Some comments were great, and others made me fear for my country. I especially despise the "if you don't like your country anymore then LEAVE" comments. No, sir, this is my country as well, and you fucking barking at me isn't going to make me do anything but realize you're an imbicile. I'm sorry that I don't feel any safer now that our commander-in-chief has thrown out Habius Corpus (a right written directly into the constitution, older even than America itself) and can now torture his suspects as he wishes without having to document which procedures he's deemed 'humane.' So how's that multi-billion dollar war in Iraq going, Mr. President? Oh. Then I assume the civil and constitutional rights you've destroyed have made us safer? What's that you say? The actions of this country have INCREASED the number of fundamentalists and radicals joining terrorist organizations? So let me get this straight. I'll talk real slow and use small words for you Mr. President... We enjoy fewer rights, are spending BILLIONS on a war outside our borders which we are losing with no end in sight rather than on domestic problems of the poor/homeless/uneductated, AND you've managed to piss off MORE young radicals abroad. Awesome. Sir, I'd impeach you if Dick Cheney wasn't your replacement.

And by the way, you do know what happens to the shoot-first-ask-questions-later cowboy at the end of those kinds of movies, right? Let's just say that they don't make it to the credits. Perhaps a little diplomacy is in order. The way of the gun is only getting us in deeper.

2 comments:

middleson said...

While I sometimes feel you narrow your own vision with the extent you take your dissenting views, I actually think this is a well written commentary. Nice work. And I agree with most of it. Let's hope that this country's tiredness of dealing with Republican scandal and corruption will translate into more votes for change in a couple weeks.

Lehrer said...

Habeas corpus is always one of the first things to go (especially if the country is in war or the person/s or group in question are a clear and present danger ahhh love that constitution class) along with freedom of the press...fortunately we have PLENTY of freedom there. Luckily for you Luke, the Democratic party took power in both houses of congress. Unfortunately I think you will find there will be plenty to bitch about with the new administration. I am in agreement that the U.S. should be ending their time in Iraq and that the war had a unifying effect on radicals. HOWEVER, my question to you is: What sort of diplomatic route would YOU have chosen after 9/11? Would you have gone after Bin Laden? Then would we be at war somewhere else in the middle east, Afganastan perhaps. Everyone has the right to express their opinion and not leave the country - you are right about that. Unfortunately that is what happened in Cuba. All political dissidents left and those left behind had no one to represent them, or give them a powerful voice. SO, I am glad you are here Luke, to make your powerful voice heard. Just make sure that you consider all sides of the story.