Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Interesting

Sometimes, I love covers. Cover songs, like, Dave Matthews playing All Along the Watchtower (a Dylan song) or Towncrier playing Wonderwall (an Oasis song) because they don't just imitate/copy the original song (much like I do). Rather, they take a different angle on them, resulting in an entirely new version of the song. I think its interesting how some listeners can really dig one verson, but the same lyrics and chords played just a little different can alter their stance. Or, you can hear a song sung by one artist, find out its a cover, then go out and investigate the original band with a different eye than you would have had otherwise.
Case and point:
Go this THIS LINK and watch "Bold As Love" played by John Mayer. This is a cover song, played with an entirely different approach. The original artist is usually pegged as a drugged-out wackjob who played his guitar way to loud and crazy. However, Hendrix was an extremely talented songwriter, as showcased in this tune.

2 comments:

Jackson said...

Hi!

When I first heard Bold as Love on Mayer's CD I didn't realize is was a Hendrix cover until I heard it on a radio station in San Francisco. It's a great tune and I love it even more!

Have you seen Mayer in the new Volkswagen commercial? He's jamming on a First Act guitar right out of the convertible beetle's speakers. I swear I here something from Continuum but I can't put my finger on it.
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmN42dEgzQ

Let me know if you can place it or if I'm totally off my rocker.

Caboose said...

I don't believe it's from Continuum, but don't quote me. Continuum is pretty soul/R&B-ish, while this riff is super-bluesy. If I had to guess, its just a blues riff that he's 'jamming'/improvising on. I dig it when he slides it on the car door all jimmy page-like. Thanks for the comment!