Thursday, December 14, 2006

Strat work

After purchasing a TS-808 TubeScreamer reissue as well as having my BluesDriver 'keeley moded,' I recently decided to do some work to my Strat as well to celebrate my new tone.

I decided to replace my strandard strat tremolo bridge with a hardtail or 'fixed' bridge. (tremolo is that bar coming out of guitars that some guitarist crank on to give a wah-wah effect. its also really hard on strings/tuning/yourguitaringeneral) Having a fixed bridge keeps your string in tune better and increases sustain and improves all-around tone of your guitar. I also cleaned the bejesus out of it and reset the intonation, action, and pickup height. When all was said and done, it looks and sounds fantastic. Still, having your baby torn apart with it little electionic guts hanging out while taking a DRILL to the body and desoldering wires would make anyone a little scared. Here's some pics with the finished product at the bottom:

Before, with tremolo bridge

















During (the scary part)

















5 comments:

Stoppable said...

great photos, but i couldn't make heads or tails of the instrument discussion -- other than the "waa waa" part, i got that.

middleson said...

whew....glad to hear that it is all put back together and sounds better than ever. i was pretty anxious for ya.

maybe we'll get to hear you play some songs on it sometime! :)

homebase said...

well, if I even pretended to understand what you did that for I would be lying. Hope to hear a carol or two tomorrow.

Stoppable said...

sounded good on saturday!

i scrutinized the before/after photos and was unable to spot the tremolo or its upgrade...

Anonymous said...

What kind of bridge is that??? I'm thinking of doing the same thing...