Thursday, December 21, 2006

BYOC kits & more!

This pedal is a 'clone' of an MXR Phase 90. It is a kit purchased from BuildYourOwnClone.com. You get the metal enclosure (unpainted), footswitch, knobs, potentiometers, capacitors, diodes, resistors, trim pots, LEDs, jacks, an unpopulated circut board, and wire. You do the rest. I soldered everything together, painted the enclosure, and wired it up. This was my second pedal build attempt, as the 'Lazy Sprocket' below was my first. Didn't turn out as well, or I jacked it up. One of the other. Didn't want that pedal anyway, so it made for good practice. This guy may or may not make it onto my pedal board as I don't have any more room and I don't have any more 9v a/c power cords available on my board.
The picutre below is what the guts of my pedal build look like. Keep in mind, I put every stinkin little chip and wire on that thing.



















The 'Lazy Sprocket' is a fantastic name for this pedal. This kit was actually what I recieved in the mail after requesting the above Phaser. Still, the guy running BuildYourOwnClone.com is a great guy and promptly responded to both of my emails and let me keep the sprocket kit for free, even sending me the few extra parts I needed to complete both kits for the price of one. However, like I said, this pedal is the 'Lazy Sprocket.' Sold as a swell pedal, its swell is so quick and slight that the pedal is extremely limited in its use. Perhaps if the Sprocket weren't quite so Lazy, I wouldn't have farmed several of the pieces out of this guy to soup up the above Phaser.


And this is always good to see again. Doesn't happen very often and, when it does, I usually hate it the next day. I'm not tearing up or throwing anything away anymore. If I'm ever going to do anything with music, I need to write my own songs. Nobody wants to listen to cover songs all the time.

2 comments:

middleson said...

glad to hear you are writing some music/lyrics. good luck! still looking forward to a public (non-BR) performance!

Stoppable said...

MXR 90 is no where near as cool sounding as "lazy sprocket". That said, the Lazy Company should probably reallocate some funds away from marketing and into performance.

The Lazy would also make a fantastic robot head if you get time to build one.