Saturday, March 3, 2007

Sans Laces

If you know me really well, you know that I don't tie my shoes. Ever. If its not an 'at work' shoe, its laces haven't been tied in years; some even have NEVER been tied. Well, actually I tie them in a custom dual-slip knot that essentially just keeps the ends of the laces from flapping around. The shoe keeps the loose feel and slack in the laces. But mainly, its so I never have to tie the shoe again.
Now Converse is eliminating the middleman. The shoes don't even come with laces. Elastic bands on each side of the tongue give the same feel as barely-tied laces. These chucks even come pre-beat up, to avoid that awkward time where your perfectly white and black cons make you look like a nerd. No more purposefully scuffing on curbs and kicking every dirty mystery clump you walk by; these come prepped.
Either way, your Chucks will inevitably take on some of your personality the longer you have them. Look closer at a few chucks and their owners... you'll see what I mean.

4 comments:

middleson said...

yes those day-glo white shoes can be a bit embarrassing. i feel the same way with a fresh pair of shelltoes. the sans-laces look has been rocked since RUN DMC took the laces out of their white and black superstars back in the 80's. adidas even put out a special issue last year during their 35th anniversary of the superstar celebration.
good stuff.

homebase said...

Love the black, the green is a bit too much. Fake, cheesy you might say. But the black rock.$$??

Caboose said...

$44. I'm thinkin of attempting to do it to my already owned chucks. Its seems like it'd be a easily reversible process if it didn't work out.

loiltes said...

Everytime I see your blog it makes me want to go back and get those shoes! Man, those were some sweet kicks...