Friday, March 23, 2007

...those who wait.

Everybody stand the hell back!! And maybe look into some ear plugs... Because this little nondescript metal box is going to SCREAM. (Yes, in a different way than the other ones on my board which granted, may sound similar to the untrained ear.) Its another Build Your Own Clone, this one is called the OctaFuzz. (OctaFUZZ not Octagon, Roscommon... lock it up.) What this effect does is sacrafice tone for overall signal saturation and sustain, by kicking up the signal an octave and distorting the freaking hell out of it. The best known example (aside from a TON of Hendrix) would probably be the very beginning of Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf or the intro of Homebrew LIVE by 311. Jack White LOVES this type of effect, think the solos to Ball & A Biscuit or Instinct Blues. Anytime the guitar sounds like a fucking AIRPLANE taking off and completely saturating the overall sound coming offstage. Also good for amp-shrieking controlled feedbacks like artsy Hendrix or Tim Mahoney's live show. RC is going to LOVE (n) this guy once I solder it into existence. I'm working on building my JM-esque relic strat, but that's gonna take a long, long time. I got it a SRV neck with a thick 'C' neck and jumbo frets topped by a classic headstock and amber finish. Gold hardware and mint green pickguard and knobs. All relic'd to perfection. I don't see this being done before Summer.
On the bright side, my work decided that the database I worked on last fall that the entire dept now uses every damn day is bonus-worthy. Of course, this was after I mentioned that I don't really get paid to build custom databases. So that's always good news to hear on a friday. Homebase, be glad I didn't buy 3 of these pedals!

6 comments:

homebase said...

Great job on the bonus!! Now, about ruining your eardrums... and how about saving for a trip, and take me!! Congratulations.

middleson said...

agreed, i'm all for the spending a little on some fun and saving a lot for down the road.

i'm looking forward to seeing the project progress.

Stoppable said...

hooray for new gadgetry!

Stoppable said...

is this a "standard" gadget or more of the "super" variety; i.e. a great toaster with 4 slices or a titanium plated sailing trunk with 7 settings that'll run you $450?

Caboose said...

ha, this is a standard gadget. Effect pedals are usually one-trick ponies, which is why I have 8 on my board. These 'Build Your Own Pedals' are based on classic boutique pedals which do run about $200. These guys give you the exact same circuitry and componants inside as the vintage originals. You get a really simple case and you've got to solder it together yourself, but what was $195 is now only $70 if I build it myself. Plus it gives me something constructive to do.

Stoppable said...

not guitar related, but you might want to check out:


http://edition.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/03/28/books.pottercover.ap/index.html