Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Liber Novus"

There's something about the the occult that interests me. Physical manifestations of heaven and hell, good and evil, angels and demons - if you throw that stuff in a book or movie... there's a pretty good chance I'll get it.

Which is why when I came across this link about a secret book written by Carl Jung while he was... well... going out of his way to allow his phychosis / schizophrenia to get stronger, I proceded to read the entire article. And its not a small article.

Something about special books with pictures and biblical allusions containing information important enough to get hidden and locked away - just seems to interest me.

Examples:
-The grail diary in The Last Crusade
-The crazy artwork in Dante's Divine Comedy (but mainly just Inferno)
-The three texts in the movie The Ninth Gate

2 comments:

Stoppable said...

interesting article on the 'red book' -- i only got throught 1/2 of it though.

i put the 9th gate in my new movie queue

middleson said...

didn't check out the link (yet). inferno has been on my 'to read' list since HS.

funny sidenote. i can't read or hear about Carl Jung without thinking about mispronouncing his name, repeatedly, when called on to talk about him in college. Humble pie. :)