Monday, October 5, 2009

"...this is the only guitar the band owns"

If you read my blog, you already know how excited I was to see "It Might Get Loud." I won't repost everything I've already posted - but I wanted to talk about a few of the cooler points of the movie.

-The movie starts out with Jack White on a farm, pounding two nails into a 2x4. He then nails a single guitar pickup to the wood. Then he wraps a piece of steel wire around the nails, making it taut. He inserts a glass bottle on one side to act as a bridge and then plugs the rig into one of his Silvertone amps sitting on the porch. Then starts ripping out a slide guitar riff on his homemade 'guitar.' The whole thing took about 4mins. No words. Ends with Jack taking a drag off a cigarette, "...ya know? Who says you need to buy a guitar?"

-Watching Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page all sitting in THEIR music rooms, listening to THEIR records, talking about what THEIR influences were. It was a surreal experience to watch Jimmy Page listening to music. The guy on the top of most "Greatest Living Guitarist" lists, the guitarist for Led Zeppelin - even HE plays air guitar when listening to his favorite guitarists. Turns out its not just me. Really brought home the fact that these guys are just normal dudes.

-There's actually clips of the lutheire making the 2nd of Jack White's custom "Triple Jet" Gretsches. Not the copper one I blogged about 2 posts below, but the one with the Green Bullet microphone on the body. That was pretty sweet.

-The drastically different approaches of each player. Page was a session guitarist playing other people's music before deciding to go a completely different direction and change the way electric guitar was played forever. The Edge is very into effects processing and getting the most out of dozens of pedals and amps in his chain, getting the most precise sound to match whats in his head. Jack White is a minimalist guitarist - cheap plastic guitars, 3 effects, and straight blues riffs backed by as much energy and raw power as he can muster.

-There was a funny quote from The Edge talking about their first serious recording session w/ Steve Lillywhite. After they'd recorded all the main parts, Steve wanted to overdub different guitar parts on top of Edge's original riffs with a different guitar (to make the tone fuller, a common trick). This was so early in U2's career, The Edge looks at Bono, looks at his brown Explorer and says, "...this is all I have. This is the only guitar the band owns."

-There's a clip of Jack White talking about the blues and while he's talking there is a clip of him playing "Blue Veins" with the Raconteurs. He's playing so hard that his hand is bleeding all over his guitar body. He sets the Gretsch down, the camera zooms in, and there's red smears all over the finish.

5 comments:

jamfla said...

I wish I possessed the dexterity, patience, fine motor skills, and plain raw talent that it takes to play the guitar. Very cool.

middleson said...

blood on the frets.

i look fwd to watching this, even though, as you stated, i won't be able to appreciate it on the level you can, as a fellow axeman. i still think it'll be pretty sweet.

i love seeing any person who is fully committed to what they do share about it. (athletes, musicians, obama, jamie from TWLOHA, teacher memiors, etc)
i love seeing the two sides of them--that they are normal humans but also completely focused and single-minded toward their craft.

Stoppable said...

sounds very cool -- as middleson noted, even to the outsider.

'this is the only guitar the band owns.' love it.

at least it wasn't a 2x4

Stoppable said...

sounds very cool -- as middleson noted, even to the outsider.

'this is the only guitar the band owns.' love it.

at least it wasn't a 2x4

galfunseeker said...

I saw it Saturday. I was the only female in the theater. ha! I really enjoyed it. I blasted my stereo afterwards not drumming on my steering wheel but using the arch as a neck and strumming the side while making silly faces and scrunching my noise with the high pitched chords and riffs. All the while wishing I could actually play it. But alas, I only know a few chords. One day.

The opening scene was remarkable. I haven't really gotten "in to" Jack White or really any of these guys. It was really nice to just see them just LOVE playing .

The take away for me that in my opinion was the MOST honest moment of the film was when Jimmy Page was in his music room (which btw is SWEET and I WILL have my walls full of vinyls one day) playing one of his favorite songs. The child-like look that instantly overcame his eyes as he was building in excitement possibly holding back from "air" strumming,then gives in totally to it with a huge grin. He starts to explain the attitude that the guitar was giving all the while never losing that excitement. It really warmed my heart.
That moment....I felt so close to a perfect stranger. I might not be able to "fully" understand how a guitarist feels when playing or the interworkings of the mind when you know how to play but that is how I have for years described to others just how music makes ME feel. I saw that love ..my love in his eyes.

Great film! And the way Jack White man handles his guitar "picking a fight" with it.... PIMP! Not gonna lie when I saw the microphone guitar I thought Ohhhh Lucas would love that! Brilliant idea!