Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bad Idea = your first YouTube comment

YouTube is arguably one of the 'coolest' things on the planet right now, and I'll admit that I'm known to frequent its URL fairly often. Religiously, even. The sheer amount of stuff that's on there is in itself fairly amusing. Every single thing you could ever want or not want to see is on there. From 'Me Snuggling with Whiskers_homevideo.mpeg' to 'Thundercats - entire season 1'; 'My Own Personal Talk Show with Myself' to 'Instructional video - How to correctly shave your cat.' (Don't ask me, man. For some reason, YouTube seems to have an unusual number of videos dealing with cats.)
However, as much as I enjoy the videos on YouTube, the comments section is a dark and murky cesspool. Your first step into the muck pulls you in, as you read your first comment. Then you're sunk.
"That could be the dumbest shit I've ever read....
I must read on."
In every string of comments it's impossible to discern any order of newest to oldest, but that doesn't seem to stop the constant stream of hate, bad grammar, and ignorance. Sprinkled with a few genuine, 'good job, I liked that one.' Those people get ripped to shreds by the others, never to leave another positive comment again.
I know that you're tempted now to go directly to YouTube and whip up your favorite Spice Girls vid and read the first comment below but DON'T! Trust me, I'm doing you a favor.

3 comments:

homebase said...

Just recently I experienced this, I bought the duet of Lisa Marie Presley and her dad, the song, IN the Ghetto. It was awesome. Some of the comments on itunes were mean. And then somebody would be mean back. there are a lot of meanies out there. Where'd all the good people go???? :)

Caboose said...

woah, ma! is that a jack johnson quote?
'been changin channels i don't see them on the tv shows..'

middleson said...

yeah, if only these people who spend all their time making mince meat of people's comments would use that time in a useful, helpful way, i think they'd be a bit happier.