Friday, August 31, 2007

Prisoner

Whoa oh prisoner
My pretty oh oh prisoner
A black ocean is the sky above
Tiny lights bob what star you from
Trapped in material plane
She wants to fly and they think she's insane
But she knows what she know
Give that girl wings and that's all she wrote

Twilight zone twilight zone I'm
Floating in the dark alone and
Is there any love out here let me know

A laser lights the top of my dome
Then through my body As if Scotty's
Beaming up a wayward soul
Mutant races in an ancient universe
Dark shadows humans rhymin' in a reggae verse
It's gone if you blink
I can see it as soon as you think it
Dancehalls crystal balls
On sidewalk malls
Psychic people outdoors reading palms
I believe that you know more
To survive the dimension is four
oh oh prisoner
my pretty oh oh prisoner
Look at the way she's searching
Trapped in a world that's hurting
So bad it makes her cry
But i won't let her say goodbye
--------------------------------------------------
Didn't get that job I wanted/needed.
My department got our official move date for when we're all being moved over to the craphole of a death sentence. Oct 5th. Can you tell I'm not very excited about it? Because I'm not. My department has essentially been 'blacklisted' from any decent positions within the region, to make sure none of us escape the move or get any job that isn't processing. Feel a little lost, like, what the hell am I doing at this insurance company? I can't get into any of the cool/important/not-pissant positions from where I'm at, so... what now? Do I quit and do something else for a while, then apply to those positions while NOT listing processing as a reference? I need to look into luthier school or something. I don't know. I'm just having one of those weeks. I don't get depressed very often, and I hate it. Nothing like realizing you made more money waiting tables 25 hours a week than you do at your corporate job working 38.75 hours.
Maybe I should take a hint from Ben Folds and think about the Army.

5 comments:

middleson said...

Everyone...and i mean EVERYONE goes through times when they have these exact thoughts. Am I doing the right thing? Should I keep putting in my time and try to move up? Do I even want to move up? Are there other places I'd be more happy? get paid more? have a better opportunity for advancement? Do I quit and pursue something I truely enjoy? And what is that?
My advice would be simply...get out there and try things, whether it is going back and taking some classes or going back and getting a grad degree or trying a part-time job in something you think you are interested in, or joining some groups/clubs, talking to friends from college/HS & see what they're into and what they think...anything. The more you do & see, the more you will learn about what is available, what you like, what you don't, etc. The worst thing to do is stay stationary and wonder.
My other piece of advice is to pray on it. I don't mean that God will speak to you and tell you to apply for a job at so and so company, but if you start taking some time and clearing your head, thinking about things and focusing it will help you out.
Lastly, I don't know about the Army, but there is always AmeriCorps.

homebase said...

NO ARMY!!!
YOu know, I thought about this on my way home today. Steve O'Meara is assistant to the Attorney General in Des Moines, is that right middleson? or is he the attorney general?? He said when Jake and I saw him a few weeks ago, if you (meaning you 3 boys) need anything, give him a call. You have a political science degree, do you ever look at job posting in the government in Des Moines site ?? You should, it might be a start to get into something to see what jobs look interesting there, work a while, see if you like it. Might take a while to get on, might not. When you see something, give Steve a call and ask if you can use his name for reference. He knows me and Jake and Eron, I don't remember if he knows you or not. He sounded very helpful. Keep looking at job sites, what sounds good or interesting? maybe something will click. I will pray too. Keep your chin up.

Caboose said...

sorry ma, don't want where I work on here.

TweakySolution said...

I don't know who this homebase character is, but I like what they say.

I know the repubes are in charge in IA, but there's always a position open here in MN.

https://statejobs.doer.state.mn.us/JobPosting

Stoppable said...

my lengthy, pithy original post was lost somewhere between the publish button and the posting page.... so a reader's digest summary will have to suffice.

1. not getting the job you wanted sucks. period. don't sugar coat it to yourself (my trick). admit you would have liked it so you can begin to figure out what you can do to get the next one.

2. your current job sucks no less than it did the day before you saw the posting for the new job. so don't look down more on it now. (this is a real phemenon, i've seen it happen first hand - guy likes job, gets rejected for new job, guy now HATES job and performance tumbles -- which means chances for new job also tumble)

3. figure out WHY you were picked this time for the job. structure your thinking and questions in the mindset of "how was it that I was not selected" this is much different than "why wasn't I picked"
only do this step if you are prepared for hard questions and hard answers. you will find that (1) you are not qualified (or don't appear to be qualifed to prospective employers which is functionally the same thing) or (2) you are qualified, but missed in some non-essential category, i.e. another candidate is qualifed but also speaks swahili and does calculus in her head for fun. the only real way to get these answers to ask them of the HIRING manager (note I did not type HR manager, that will get you meaningless blather) the HIRING manager, if they agree to meet with you will (1) be impressed by your humility and initiative and (2) likely give you 'correct' answers for the next interview, since they'll be describing exactly what they are looking for -- in detail if you know how to ask the questions.

4. ok, so you've looked at the job, learned what you need to do to get the next one. now comes a decision. do you want to? that is, is the job worth the work/time/change? if so, go get em, if not, why not? the answer may give you more help than steps 1-3.

5. finally (thought I'd forget this one, huh, homebase?) THE ARMY... I believe the ARMY is a GREAT solution for a lot of people.... that said I'm not sure you're one of those people... iron-clad rules don't fit well with guys who like innovation and flexibility. But that said, there are other institutions waiting for you: NSA / GAO / OMB / DOT (treasury, not transportation)/ DOJ