Monday, August 27, 2007

Vendo-land Blues

Nothing starts off a Monday right like getting screwed by the vending machine at 9am.

Me: "Hm, lets see, I'm tired and irritable, maybe an AMP'd Mt. Dew is in order. I'll just put my money in and put this button."
Pop Machine: "VENDING.... VENDING.... VENDING..."
Me: "It shouldn't take this long, Mr. Vending Machine... Is this how you do business, Hey! You're not 'vending' anymore. But I don't see my drink."
Pop Machine: "NO. AND I'M KEEPING YOUR TWO DOLLARS."
Me: "But... but, that's not how this is supposed to work, I give you money, you give me my taurine induced work seizure in a can. We've done this before."
Pop Machine: "TRUE, BUT I CAN SEE YOU'RE IN A BAD MOOD AND I FIGURED THIS MIGHT BE THE LAST STRAW FOR YOU. THERE'S A STACK OF PAPER OVER THERE, GO FALL IN IT, MAYBE YOU'LL GET CUT PRETTY BAD."
Me: "I hate Mondays."

Music Musings:
I've been listening to a ton of Tegan and Sara - The Con lately. Also Deathcab for Cutie and The Postal Service. Which is interesting, considering the electonica/keyboards/snyths are all done by the same guy; Chris Walla. He does cool stuff. Check him out. Another collaborator on the new Tegan and Sara album is Kaki King. I've been a fan since seeing her play at the M-Shop in college 2-3 times. Doesn't sing much (sometimes not at all) but she can play guitar like you've never seen. Seriously, she plays it like a drum, like a lap slide, like an open tuning, loops audio clips of herself, and does bluegrass fingerpicking pretty much all at the same time. She plays an instrument called a Kotar (a cross between a guitar and a koto) in some of the songs off The Con. Sounds japanese, you'll hear it.

Kaki King:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQ2yNYQ_Z0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wsFeXWc82Y

No comments: