Thursday, April 2, 2009

Esoterical, I know...

I'm really into instrumental bands of late. The Autumn Project and Telefon Tel Aviv sparked my interest, and I'm finding some GEMS recently. I like this type of music because it FORCES the focus to be on instrumentation and tone, which is what I'm focused on anyways. It pushes musicians to really get the most out of their guitars, their effects pedals, their amp rig. Drummers are so much a part of the sound in any band, but the dynamics in some of these songs is incredible. Here's who I'm currently listening to:

Russian Circles
Beware of Safety
Telefon Tel Aviv
Explosions in the Sky
The Autumn Project

3 comments:

middleson said...

Vocals are too big a part of what I appreciate about music to really get into this stuff. It doesn't matter if I can understand the words or even if they're in english, or if its been Autotuned into oblivion, I just like hearing a persons voice.

Glad you are expanding your horizons though!

Anonymous said...

Russian Circles is awesome. Might be wrong, but I think it is a Chicago native band.

Caboose said...

Nope - you are correct! According to wikipedia, they're from Chi-town.