Tuesday, January 2, 2007

The Highway's alive tonight...

I wonder who would win the "Most original songs covered by other bands" contest between Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen? It seems like if something is a cover song, and it rocks, it was most likely originally written by one of these two guys.

My most recent discovery: The Ghost of Tom Joad
This song is covered by Rage Against the Machine and it rocks hard.
De la Rocha is a great songwritter for sure (and crazy as hell) but this song struck me for some reason as a little different than other RATM tracks. Turns out, this song was written by The Boss, that why. If you just listened to the music, these songs couldn't be more different. Somehow, though, the lyrics fit perfectly into both songs and give two different moods to the same setting. One very folk-ish and hopeful, the other hard as hell and aggressive, yet both ask for change in their own style. The Boss seems to expect it of people, De la Rocha seems to demand it of people.

"Wherever there's somebody fightin' for a place to stand
Or a decent job or a helpin' hand
Wherever somebody's strugglin' to be free
Look in their eyes Mom you'll see me."

3 comments:

middleson said...

Ghost of Tom Joad is my favorite RATM song. I discovered it when I was in college. Great stuff. I have not heard the Boss' version. You'll have to play it for me sometime.

Stoppable said...

a few questions
1. you just discovered the Rage song, or you just discovered the fact that it's a cover? (i knew the song, but not that it was a cover)
2. Did you know Tom Joad is a character from the Grapes of Wrath? (i did not, something about your post made me suddenly realize he was probably a reference.... of course, what isn't in a RAGE song?)
3. I too discovered RAGE in college - Tom Joad was Abi's favorite, but has always been too edgy to make any of my frequent played lists.

Caboose said...

1)I just discovered that it was a cover song.
2)I did NOT know this, and will be looking into it.
3)Not a question.

I'm not surprised not everyone gets into Rage Against The Machine. Their music isn't intended to be palettable or easy listening. Quite the opposite, actually. Intentionally aggressive, unapologetic, and unmutable.