Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Open Mic

So I'm gonna do it. This friday at Java Joes in downtown Des Moines. Gotta get there early, sign up around 7:30, and hopefully get one of the first slots starting around 8:30. I'm not entirely sure how long each person gets, but I've got a few reserve songs if I need them. I'm not sure how this will go, as I've never been to an Open Mic at this place. Could be amatuer and lax, or it could be a firey hoop. I'd rather that it was somewhere in between so that my 150lb, 4-ft pedalboard won't be frowned upon by the help. Yes, its an acoustic open mic, but I'm still lugging this massive toy around with me. I spent the time and money to build it, and I'm using it, damnit. Plus, then I can over-use the vocal delay to hide my insecurity.
Here's what I'm thinking about playing.... warning: spoilers ahead!
1. Taylor - Jack Johnson tabs & lyrics
I have played this song every show I've ever played (Depot Deli, Emerald Isle, St. Paddy's, Bali Satay House). I'm not really sure why. My voice feels comfortable in this song. Plus, its super simple, except for the intro/outro, which could be one of the most complicated riffs I know. Its so non-Jack Johnson. Almost like someone said, "Jack, all you do it strum surf chords. You're not that fantastic of a guitar player." To which Jack responded by writing the intro to Taylor. "Fine, learn THAT riff... see you in a week"
2. Spaghetti Streetwalker - Speechwriters LLC tabs & lyrics
This is one of my all time favorite songs. So simple. Yet the lyrics hit home, like so many Speechwriters songs. A good one for anyone who's ever waited tables. Gonna try a little solo, hopefully, I won't blow it. B major Ionian? What's the relative minor for B? Anyone?
3. Slow Dancing in a Burning Room - John Mayer tabs & lyrics
This song would be more justified by an electric guitar and a huge tube amp, but we're going to find out how an acoustic version works out. This song's piercing solo is one of my favorite parts, but due to time constraints, guitar limitations, and the fact that I'm not actually John means I'll be cutting that part out. A little worried about the 'go cry about it why don't you' part as well. Not strong there. Also, need to practice an ending of some kind.
4. Arc of Time - Bright Eyes tabs & lyrics
This is a sweet song, and I would like to loop the drums in the begining by slapping the body of my guitar, but that's a little touchy and I'm not sure I could pull it off on the 1st try in front of people. I think I'll just stick to strumming and trying to remember all the damn words.
5. Wonderwall - Oasis
Even though this is an Oasis song, I'm playing the stripped-down, non-capo'd, Towncrier version. This song is pretty simple, and everyone knows it, so hopefully it will be a decent closer.
--------------------------------------
runner-up/maybeanothertime songs
-Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
-The End - Towncrier
-The General - Dispatch
-Typical Situation - DMB

6 comments:

homebase said...

Oh, I am so bummed, you know it is to start freeze rain on Thursday night and Friday then snow Friday and Saturday? I wish I could go but I had better wait till next time. Break a leg and I am happy you are doing it, experience is always good.

homebase said...

Good choice Wonderwall, you sang that in Farragut at school and it rocked. :)

Anonymous said...

good luck. you'll rock it.

middleson said...

i also am SUPER bummed. after harassing caboose relentlessly to play, he finally is gonna do it and i have a super-awesome opportunity offered to me on the same night! Arrrggh. I secretly am hoping he gets a late time slot so I can do both. :) sorry caboose. either way, break a leg. just relax, have some laughs, don't get too wound up about it. just enjoy and have fun playing.

Stoppable said...

hmmm... you forgot to list a Jimmy Buffet song, what happened?

hee hee

knock 'em dead!

Lehrer said...

so how did it go? i need a follow up post!