Monday, May 7, 2007

Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV

Sometimes music seems to just fit perfectly with your life, attitude, etc. I had mentioned that last week was the DCFC- Plans album... this morning was Coheed and Cambria. The title track and title of this post was enough to make me almost freak out at my desk. (Sometimes I get a little to 'into' the music I'm listening to...) These guys are interesting, read about them on WikiPedia (Quiet, you). They have crazy good guitars and themeatic writing are similar to a graphic novel. The albums are all concept albums like Tommy by the Who, and deal with an overarching storyline. The albums are based on actual graphic novels written by frontman Claudio Sanchez. The whole storyline is described here. While the whole album is listen-able, my guilty favorite is still A Favor House Atlantic. Radio-listeners might remember this one as the "good eye, sniper/I shoot/you run... the words you scribbled on the walls/with loss of friends you didn't have..."
Changing gears....
The more I listen to Ben Folds, the more excited I get about the upcoming John Mayer / Ben Folds concert. Gonna be SWEET. Get a kickass hookup on tickets from a guy at work who used to work at the Iowa Events Center. I had told myself I wasn't going to another Mayer concert unless it was in a small venue (or if the John Mayer Trio reforms). But since these tix are way closer than I ever would have been able to get myself, I'll make an exception. Plus I've never seen Ben Folds before.
Ben's music is so aurally pleasing with the tinkling piano, I often find myself knowing the words but not actually listening to them. His music is amazing in that the songs are quality music and yet the lyrics are so witty and funny that you almost don't notice it. I just caught this snippet of a song that made me laugh out loud. (Peavy amps are usually really old, usually low-end, and made for distortion and metal music rather than clean tones.) The idea that the guy takes his girlfriend with him to a shop to shred on guitars while she sits on the screaming amp looking bored is a sight not all that uncommon in a Guitar Center or Mom & Pops Guitar Shoppe.
"Sara spelled without an H is getting bored...
On a Peavy amp from 1984...
While Zak without a C tried out some new guitars,
Playin Sara with no H's favorite song...
La da da, da da da, la da da..."

No comments: