Tuesday, September 23, 2008

'False Hope'

Had another instance of someone snidely shrugging off Obama's message of 'Hope'. Saying "Yeah, you're young and impressionable." Which made me madder than if he would have slapped me in the face. I didn't miss a beat to reply, "Which makes you what then? Old and cynical? Don't tear me down for being optimistic just because you aren't." Sounds like a more heated exchange than it was. I think they were just conservative, but didn't have any valid arguments to make on policy issues, so they chided me for being a young voter and 'not knowing better.' Hey man, its not my fault you don't know enough to argue the issues. I'll write down your candidate's platform FOR you if you want and come back later to have a legitimate discourse.

"We've been told we cannot do this, by a chorus of cynics, who will only grow louder and more disciplined.
We've been asked to pause for a reality check.
We've been warned against offering the people of this nation 'false hope.'
...But in the unlikely story that is America -
there has never been anything 'false' about hope."
-Barack Obama

2 comments:

homebase said...

That is so funny because a relative of mine just told me after I said I could not vote for McCain,"Oh, your kids brainwashed you!". I guess you have to be young to vote for Obama, :) So I said no, probably not. Then the person said, "Not Ralph Nader!" When I said no, I got a lecture about not making my vote count. I think the person just wanted to rile me up, which they didn't. :) Fat Cat Republican!! Just kidding, kinda.:) It wasn't any of my kids-- :)Thank you very much.

middleson said...

the day i stop hoping will hopefully be the last day of my life.