Tuesday, September 23, 2008

XKCD love

Ah, XKCD, you read my mind. I personally hate 'ringtones' that do not actually 'ring.' It's just one of those technological advances that made me go, "Okay, we CAN do it, but why would you WANT to?" It would repetitively play the same 30 seconds of your favorite song in low-fi quality, until you get sick of it. Plus you have the chance of confusing it with actual music. Or it just blends in with the music you're playing and you miss the call. Or it goes off in some inopportune time and you look much stupider than if your phone just rang. I guess it just feels really tacky to me. (Roscommon is going to KILL me when he reads this.)

I think I'm getting old. ...Now where'd I put my Worther's Original hard candies?

**edit** someone at work pointed out that I might just be mad because no one ever calls me. That might be true. Still... ouch. Back to The Cave.

5 comments:

middleson said...

ha...no offense taken. it's true, i am a recent convert to using ringtones instead of rings. in all honesty, it's because i found a site where you can download ringtones for free (myxer.com). but it is kinda fun. i love my main default tone of 'paper planes'. the other, family-member specific ones i chose are only fair. they might need changed.
but...i usually have my phone on vibrate when i'm in public because i don't think anyone wants to hear your phone, ring or ringtone. THAT is the most important.

Caboose said...

whew, I was worried I might offend. You're pretty good about yours, and plus, I'm about the only person who ever hears your ringtones.

Really, I'm speaking more about ME not wanting one and why. Like anything, you want a REO Speedwagon ringtone, more power to ya. I just won't be using one. You want to wear a shirt that says 'Farts' on, that's fine too. But you won't see me wearing one. (unless that fad catches on, then I'll have 3.)

homebase said...

Don't care for ringtones, cheesy kinda. But hey, if someone likes them go ahead, just don't be obnoxious about it. I just switched mine to vibrate first then ring and I love that.Usually can grab it before it sounds, saving the world from overload phone rings.

Stoppable said...

USCG band playing the national anthem... had it for months now and may never change. mostly b/c I can't stand the sprint 'tones'. the worst is the old school phone sound ARRRGHGH!

Caboose said...

Great point! I forgot about that. The really old fashoned ring is almost just as bad. And like you said, some of the ringing options they give you are horrible. Electronic seizure-inducing versions of "flight of the bumblebee" or something...