Thursday, October 2, 2008

Cereal Rated

Mia Madre was very strict about which cereals we could have growing up. I remember resenting that other kids had 'better tasting' cereals, but now I don't really even want those cereals. Maybe one of the small variety pack boxes every few months, but not as a keep-in-the-house cereal. Sometimes there is NOTHING better than a bowl of standard yellow box Cheerios with a sliced banana.

As it turns out, Homebase was pretty smart with her cereal choices. We usually had Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Kix, Raisin Bran, or the occasional Life. The top rated cereals were Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Kix, and Life. Good call, Mom. Among the worst rated cereals were Fruit Loops, Smacks, Corn Pops, Cap'n Crunch, and Apple Jacks. (some of my favorites. good thing I didn't buy the cereal)

3 comments:

galfunseeker said...

I was just having a conversation about "top" cereals. I am a fan of the sugar loaded bowl of goodness. Peanut Butter Cap'N Crunch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruit Loops, Cooookie Crisp... but my #1 all time favorite
Honey Nut Cheerios!
You just can beat the perfect balance that this cereal has to offer...and "it's good for you TOO!"

middleson said...

cheerios, honey nut cheerios, granola, grape-nuts, frosted mini-spooners. i could live with that being all the cereal i had for the rest of my life.
I also agree that there are few things better than a bowl of healthy cereal with some fresh fruit in it.
Mom, as usual, was right on. I hadn't had fruity pebbles or apple jacks until i went to college. i had one bowl of each and never ate them again. fruit loops and cap'n crunch (or the cheaper version King Vitamin) i did enjoy now and then though.

homebase said...

As kids we were never had sugar coated cereals either, so I guess I just kept up the tradition and didn't want to pay your dentist bills!! :) My mom had grape nuts, raisin bran, cheerios and hot oatmeal. Sometimes things don't change. Glad you are all eating healthy. As a kid I hated sugar--- that tasted like sugar. Like sprinkled on this and that, still don't do that today. But candy, well... what can I say, I do like a good bite of candy now and then. Neccos anyone??