Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"scary smart"

I'm BACK! Been seriously slacking on the blogging due to a new job, band practices, and general laziness.
-----------------------------------------------
The story of the last few days was a 7-year old blurb that Barack Obama had said on a NPR radio show. (WBEZ CHICAGO, where This American Life is from) The 7 second sound byte included a few key words that makes conservatives cringe, but mainly "redistribution of wealth." The clip that was used was a discussion of the Civil Rights era and the role of the courts, so instantly I wondered whether this quote was out of context. I found the whole interview (it was a long one) and I realized something I'd never been able to put my finger on....
Barack Obama reminds me of a college professor of mine. The guy is CRAZY smart. Like, really wicked smart.

There's a plethora of stories and blogs like this one today.

So it's no surprise that many people went back and listened to that interview from 7 years ago, and I think that whoever used that clip to try and scare the conservatives from voting for Obama wishes that they hadn't. Because many more people are finding out that Obama isn't the insane marxist they're trying to paint him as - but what he IS, in fact, is one of the smartest people in politics. His enemies weren't just saying he has a 'first-rate intellect' as flattery. This is somebody who SCHOOLS people.

No, seriously, he was a Constitutional Law professor.

2 comments:

middleson said...

ha...your last sentences made me laugh.

homebase said...

I wondered what it would take to bring you back, the election is getting close and I thought you might have more to say. Do they open early voting and count it ahead of time? differing opinions at school.