Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Going through dem changes

I felt the need to change myself lately. I spent a few years dwelling on the past and just felt... stale lately. Part of it was legitimate, and part of me just wants to change so people can't 'pin me down' and say they know me anymore. Either way, I've done a few things recently that I've been meaning to do for a while.
  • Growing my hair out. Not sure what I'm going for exactly, but the initial idea was this. Jack White is the one on the left and that's what I'm thinking.
  • Working out: I've started working out this year. Joined the YMCA with a few others, started taking Yoga (its awesome), etc. Hopefully I can keep it up. (T.W.S.S.) I've made peace with never being a beefy guy, but I'd like to not be so.... stringy.
  • New ink: Much to my mother's chagrin, I got a new tattoo that I've wanted for a while. I really like it, and am happy that I did it. I had made a small sarcastic comment on my Facebook and it backfired a little (sorry bro) - at least I know my family cares. Let it be known that I would never get a tribal or a neck tattoo.
  • New instrument: I finally got a piano. I've been meaning to get one for a while now, but finally bit the bullet and got a nice 88-key electric piano. It sounds great and feels great. I'm remembering why I fought playing piano so hard as a kid - my right hand is really weak and can't keep up with my left. Which is frustrating, because nearly every songs 'lead' part uses the right hand. I also have a tendency to get in over my head. I'm currently trying to learn: Swim, Dark Blue, and Rescued by Jack's Mannequin - these songs are HARD. Andrew MacMahon is definitely no slouch when it comes to penning a song on the piano. Also learning a few others including songs by The White Stripes, Lady Gaga, and Deathcab for Cutie.
------------------------

------------------------

4 comments:

Nic said...

That's the kind of post I was talkin' about!

1. Glad you're liking Yoga...don't think I could've done side plank last night w/o you and JW's support!

2. Glad to hear there will be no tribal neck tats...because you know that turns into a barbed wire tat around your arm and then snowballs into pucca shell necklaces and popped collars and I'm not sure our friendship is strong enough to withstand such shenanigans.

3. Excited to hear you play!

Stoppable said...

1. how funny - me too. although my results are bit more like paul mccartney meets phil specter than your jack white.

3. i'd like to point out that i *didn't* wig out on this. of course, i also didn't hear of it until it was all over...

4. great purchase to start the year off!

Les said...

Yay for ch-ch-changes

BC'10 won't know what hit it this year! I'm going to start putting in requests for the piano
1) The Mixed Tape - JM
2) The Scientist - Coldplay
3) Somewhere Only We Know - Keane
and only about 400 others .... play monkey PLAY!!!

homebase said...

I would like to start Yoga again but I need the wimpy version. My back can't take the hardwood floor on some of those positions.

As the mom it is my job to "wig out" and I do it well. Especially on t-a-... I can't even spell it. Enough said.

You have great hair-good luck
Can't wait to see the piano.