Tuesday, November 9, 2010

30 days of truth (Day 2)

Day 02 → Something you love about yourself:

I took a second to really think about this one... its not a easy as it might sound. You don't want to give a shallow answer, because those are fleeting and cop outs to begin with. 'I like my eyes' or 'I like my hair' are bullshit answers and deep down I think we know it. Its just easier to come with those rather than actually dig for something.

I like that I don't let social norms and castes define what I like, what I wear, and where I go. Because I like X, I don't feel that I can't like Y, just because they don't seem to go together. Maybe its growing up in a small high school where you can be a jock, speech freak, geek, etc. all at the same time. Who knows. Regardless of the reason, I like that I can listen to indie rock (Bright Eyes), techno-pop (Owl City), and dubstep (a N.A.S.A. remix) in the same sitting. I like that I can wear tight jeans and a v-neck one night and a shirt and (loose) tie the next. Granted - I have my own tastes, and those tastes tend to exclude certain things (most contemporary country music for example...) but that's not my point here. Most of my friends are the same way, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons that we ARE friends, but I do see people that only dress a certain way, or only listen to a certain type of music, and if they get outside of that, its some awful secret or shame.

Maybe that's a better way of putting it. I have no issues trying new things - but namely - I love the fact that I have no shame in admitting the things I like. I have zero issues admitting that I like electronica music, I love video games, and occasionally wear fake glasses.

2 comments:

Nic said...

I like that, great post. Kudos to you for doing this 30 day project. Some of these questions get very personal so mad props to you for just putting it all out there!

Les said...

Well done! But you DO have good hair and nice eyes, so own that too :) Can't wait to keep reading.